I know it's a mouthful. But what else do I call it? Chicken and cauliflower? Then you won't want to eat it. But Green Chile Chicen Kabobs with Mexican Cauliflower Rice, however, sounds delicious. My husband begged for seconds. We ate the whole humungo pan of "rice".
I found a good green chile "anytime sauce" made by Stubbs that I marinated and cooked the chicken in. The flavor was perfect paired with the cauliflower. Let's talk about that. Cauliflower. What is with this new food fad? I've only ever eaten cauliflower from a veggie tray dipped in ranch dressing (raise your hand if you're with me). Who in their right mind thought to make pizza crust and "rice" from this stuff? Well someone did and I'm actually okay with that. We have had some very tasty meals lately with this white stuff at the center of it. It adapts well to flavors you add to it and while you can still taste the cauliflower itself, the surrounding ingredients take it to a whole new level.
I'll tell you the version of Mexican "rice" that I made, but I'm sure I'll change the recipe next time based on the ingredients I had on hand because that's what I do.
Ingredients:1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1/4 t chili flake
4 cups cauliflower rice
3 green onions
1 ear of corn, cut off cobb
1/2 red pepper
1 T lime juice
1. Make "rice" by placing florets in a food processor. Process until the cauliflower has broken down into pieces the size of rice. One small head of cauliflower should be enough.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, diced red pepper and corn and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the cauliflower rice, garlic powder, onion powder, chili flake and salt and pepper. Saute until "rice" starts to brown. Turn heat off and add lime juice in and stir.
4. Stir in green onions before serving.
5. Remove to platter and serve with grilled chicken and garnish with avocado, lime and fresh tomatoes.
If the thought of cauliflower rice is too intimidating to you or you just don't simply have it around, then quinoa or rice would also work great with this dish.
Kabobs have been my all time favorite summer meal. They are so easy to fix and they cook so quickly. I find that they are a little juicier because they are close together. I am very particular about my chicken and this way is perfect.
I hope you enjoy this dish. It's perfect for summer and every month in between!